Search

Follow

Korean Skincare: An Introduction

by - 11:00


These past few months I have been increasingly intrigued by Korean skincare (and by intrigued I mean I've bought a lot of products). Since I've done a fair bit of research and will probably be talking about a lot of these products in the future, I thought a little introduction would be helpful, especially as Korean skincare is becoming increasingly popular within the beauty scene. Of course, I don't claim to be an expert by any means, this is just what I know and what I do personally. Also, since I'm still exploring products and perfecting my own regime I'm not going to mention any specific products but pictured is just what I'm using at the moment. Anyways, lets get going!

Korean skincare regimes are best known for having a hefty sounding ten steps. I know this sounds daunting but once you get into it it's not so laborious - trust me, I amazingly managed to do this after a night out once. So, what are the steps?

1) Oil-based cleanser. This is first step to take off your make up and any dirt that may be on your face. I love oil based cleansers because they are so gentle, you simply massage the oil on your face and take it off with a damp wash cloth, and don't leave my skin feeling dry or tight. Oil is also great at breaking down make up, especially stubborn mascara, and SPF. And don't be scared if you have oily skin, these cleaners turn into a milky consistency when they touch water.
2) Water-based cleanser. This is the second step in the double-cleanse that further cleans your skin by getting rid of any residue from your oil cleanse and further removing impurities. These are basically any cleansers that aren't oils, so you can go for foams, creams, or miceller waters.
3) Exfoliation. Exfoliating is really important to get rid of dead skin cells and reveal a brighter complexion. Exfoliation can come in the form of a chemical exfoliator (products containing glycolic acid) or a mechanical exfoliator (grainy scrubs). I would only use a scrub once or twice a week before toning, but I do use a chemical exfoliator everyday after toning, so if you're using a scrub this isn't necessarily an everyday step!
4) Toner. Normally used for removing any excess dirt and make up (if there is any after cleansing twice!) but also as a sort of softener and refresher for your skin. Toner helps to hydrate the skin a little bit (so long as they don't contain alcohol) and balances out pH levels.
5) Essence. Probably one of the most unique things about Korean skincare. Essence is a gel-like liquid that is somewhere between a toner and a serum. It is designed to prep the skin for hydration on the basis that slightly hydrated skin will better absorb other products than completely dry skin.
6) Serums. More hydration! Serums provide a bit of extra treatment and are basically like a thicker version of essence.
7) Sheet masks. My favourite part, even though they make you look a bit insane. These are cloth masks soaked in essence that you leave on your skin for around 15/20 minutes and use maybe once or twice a week. There are so many different options for sheet masks so they're really something you can have fun with.
8) Eye cream. Provides a bit of special moisturisation for the more delicate skin around your eyes. Eye creams can also help with puffiness and wrinkles.
9) Moisturiser. Pretty straightforward, and the last step in this long hydration process... phew!
10) SPF. Soooo important, even if it's the dead of winter. Protecting your skin from UV rays is one of the best anti-ageing things you can do. You can buy moisturisers with SPF in them or have separate products.

As you might be able to tell Korean skincare is allllll about hydration, which was one of the main things that attracted me to it because I have always suffered with dry skin. I've been following this style routine for about a month now and I don't think my skin has ever been better - it actually glows. My skin has always been a bit of an insecurity for me, as it's normally dry and uneven in skin tone. However, since following this regime my skin is clearer, softer, brighter and overall just more even in tone. I do this full routine at night, and mornings are generally just a cleanse, tone, essence, moisturise affair.


You May Also Like

0 comments